Psychotherapy Evaluation and Research Lab @ Sheffield (PEARLS)
- The Psychotherapy Evaluation and Research Lab @ Sheffield (PEARLS) brings together a group of academics, clinicians, research fellows and post-graduate students whose research focuses on the evaluation of routinely delivered psychological interventions
- Taking a pragmatic approach, the Lab’s mission is to better understand and then improve the effects of psychological therapies delivered in routine healthcare settings
- Collectively, our expertise and interests are in the analysis of practice-based datasets as well as pragmatic trials carried out in clinical settings, to understand how therapy works in routine care, and why clinical outcomes vary across services, therapy models, therapists and patients
Delgadillo, J., Ali, S., Fleck, K., Agnew, C., Southgate, A., Parkhouse, L., Cohen, Z. D., DeRubeis, R. J., & Barkham, M. (2021). Stratified care vs stepped care for depression: A cluster randomized clinical trial. JAMA Psychiatry. Published online December 8, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2021.3539
A detailed account of our practice-based research tradition can be found in: Barkham, M., Hardy, G. E., & Mellor-Clark, J. (Eds.). (2010). Developing and delivering practice-based evidence: A guide for the psychological therapies. Wiley & Sons.
Bergin and Garfield's Handbook of Psychotherapy and Behavior Change (2021) is the pre-eminent research text focusing on the psychological therapies and comprises 23 chapters. The 7e is edited by Michael Barkham (UK), Wolfgang Lutz (Germany), & Louis G Castonguay (US). Wiley & Sons.
What We Do...
In order to fulfil our mission to improve routine psychological care through the development of practice-based evidence, we undertake the following activities:
- Conduct pragmatic trials of psychological therapies in the National Health Service
- Deliver practice-based evidence through analyses of routinely collected data from services
- Adapt existing interventions for maximum effect in routine services
- Generate materials to support psychological therapists in their work (e.g., therapy manuals & competency measures)
- Undertake selective research consultancy focusing on the analyses of large data sets
- Host research seminars, academic visits from partner Universities and clinical services, as well as research internships and post-doctoral positions