Psychotherapy Evaluation and Research Lab @ Sheffield (PEARLS)
- The Psychotherapy Evaluation and Research Lab @ Sheffield (PEARLS) brings together a group of academics, clinicians, research fellows and post-graduate students whose research focuses on the evaluation of routinely delivered psychological interventions
- Taking a pragmatic approach, the Lab’s mission is to better understand and then improve the effects of psychological therapies delivered in routine healthcare settings
- Collectively, our expertise and interests are in the analysis of practice-based datasets as well as pragmatic trials carried out in clinical settings, to understand how therapy works in routine care, and why clinical outcomes vary across services, therapy models, therapists and patients
A detailed account of our practice-based research tradition can be found in the book:
Barkham, M., Hardy, G. E., & Mellor-Clark, J. (Eds.). (2010). Developing and delivering practice-based evidence: A guide for the psychological therapies. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons.
What We Do...
In order to fulfil our mission to improve routine psychological care through the development of practice-based evidence, we undertake the following activities:
- Conduct pragmatic trials of psychological therapies in the National Health Service
- Deliver practice-based evidence through the analysis of routinely collected data from services
- Develop new interventions for delivery in routine services
- Generate materials to support psychological therapists in their work - such as therapy manuals and competency measures
- Undertake selective research consultancy focusing on the analyses of large data sets
- Host research seminars, academic visits from partner Universities and clinical services, as well as research internships and post-doctoral positions
Forthcoming Visits & Events
We have the following events upcoming:
- 1-4 March 2020: Professor Dr Birgit Watzke, University of Zurich. Working visit to the Lab.
- September 2020: Dr Alex Behn, Director of Research, Millennium Institute for Research in Depression and Personality (MIDAP), Santiago, Chile. Working visit to the Lab plus clinical seminar
For more information about past, present and future events, please visit our Events page